National Expert Group on Sustainable Development Indicators
The National Expert Group on Sustainable Development Indicators (SDIs) is established through Cabinet Decision CAB/627/XIII/21/2, whereby the Permanent Secretaries shall appoint technical officers responsible for the collection of data and the production of statistics from within each relevant Ministries/Entities as members of the National Expert Group on SDIs.
The Cabinet Decision establishes the National Expert Group on SDIs so as to ensure that all stakeholders contribute equally and effectively towards data collection and the production of statistic related to SDIs given that this requires significant contributions from several entities.
The National Expert Group will be chaired by the National Statistics Office. The Ministry for Energy, Enterprise and Sustainable Development shall have a permanent member on the National Expert Group that shall attend the meetings to ensure alignment of the National Sustainable Development Strategy and targets. Each Ministry shall designate technical officers from competent authorities responsible for the collection of data and the production of statistics for the domains covered by the SDGs.
The National Expert Group shall facilitate the coordination of activities relating to the SDIs by the various stakeholders. For this purpose, it shall:
• Ensure that the Competent Authorities strengthen commitment on data collection and the production of statistics in relation to the SDIs;
• Ensure timely collaboration and submission of information, data and statistics whenever required for the monitoring of the SDIs;
• Ensure the provision of quality and reliable data in conformity with the Malta Statistics Authority Act, the European Statistics Code of Practice
and international and EU obligations/priorities relevant to each domain;
• Identify and address data gaps in relation to SDIs and ensure synergies between the SDIs and European statistical obligations;
• Assist in the identification of appropriate indicators to monitor the implementation of the National Sustainable Development Strategy for 2050;
• Recommend the allocation of funds towards specific tasks necessary for the compilation of data; and
• Make viable recommendations to the Sustainable Development Coordinators and Focal Points of each Ministry.